Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?

Tungsten carbide by itself is often referred to as a ceramic. Common
tungsten carbide tooling is WC grains cemented together with another
metal, most commonly cobalt, and referred to sometimes as a cermet, for
metal bonded ceramic. However, due to a translation mistake between
Japanese and English, commonly, means a Titanium based material such as
TiC, TiN, or TiCN.

They do use "Binderless" carbide for nozzles, etc. where impact is
not an issue. The term "Binderless" is open for discussion.

As two of the participants have pointed out the language is a bit
unclear here. The great majority of the leaders in these fields seem
to be willing to accept a variety of terms somewhat interchangeably.

The generally accepted manner of discourse in this filed, when one
hears a term that is not immediately clear, is to politely question the
speaker. This morning I used the term "cermet" and the listener
asked if I meant a material with a nickel alloy binder. Actually I
did but my focus was on the titanium component and I explained that to
him.

Because he was sophisticated technically and socially we had a lovely
conversation and found we were using many similar terms with different
meanings.

tom