Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Thread cutting (lathe) help!

Jon Eiserling wrote:
I'm going to be threading the tenon of a rifle barrel and am practicing
on a 1" dia piece of scrap crs. The thread is 16tpi, standard 60 deg. With
the compound at 30 deg., 60 deg. threading tool square/centered to the stock
I keep getting an uneven finished thread. The left side of the "V" is about
20 deg. and the right side about 40 deg. If I advance the cutter using only
the cross feed, and not the compound, I get a perfect thread.
I've tried setting the compound at 29.5deg, 30deg, etc. with no
improvement. I've checked the set-up with a protractor, dial indicators,
etc. and can find nothing wrong with the lathe or my set-ups. Obviously
something is wrong but at this point I don't have a clue. Any suggestions?
Thanks...Jon.

I was having a similar problem. It turned out that
I actually had the compound set to 60 deg. rather than
30. I was following the marks on the compound and
they were either wrong or misleading....

You need to be set at 30 degrees relative to the
plane defined by the faceplate or 60 degrees relative
to the spinning axis.