John Flanagan

Default Filters for aluminum gas welding WAS: Why do auto darken hoods say no use for gas welding?

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:27:49 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:31:06 GMT, (John
Flanagan) wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:11:50 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

I'll vouch for the tinman filters. They made a huge difference for
me in gas welding aluminum. I now strongly prefer gas over TIG for
welding or brazing aluminum from .060 thick down to .005 or so.

Why do you say you prefer gas over tig? I've got a bunch of aluminum
boxes to make out of .060" material and was going to tig the corners.

TIG would probably work well there and would be a lot faster than
gas. I like gas because the welds are more ductile, but that
shouldn't matter on box corners. I'd probably TIG box corners with a
steel backup block in the corner. I'd start at the open end of the
corner and weld toward the 3-sided corner.

I do believe you are right sir. The direction of the weld you mention
is correct but I hadn't thought of using a steel back up block. I've
used aluminum back ups for welding sheet steel so I imagine it would
work in reverse.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.