Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default Low height wardrobe/hanging space?

In article om
Steve Roach wrote:
I can't find a wardrobe/hanging space that is just less than head
height - can anyone suggest a stockist, supplier or manufacturer I can
try?

A lot of wardrobes are around 74" high, I just want hanging space - I
don't want a shelf at the top or drawers at the bottom - frankly
anything around the height of a 4 drawer filing cabinet would suit the
bedroom (a dorma style property - I have the height for a full size
wardrobe but I simply don't think anything that is 74"+ will look right
in the room - I want something that is below head height - purely my
preference.)

I'll continue searching the millions of bedroom furniture sites but I'm
not having any luck finding anything better than a 54" tallboy that has
hanging space on one side and drawers on the other. In my room I plan
to put the stand-alone drawer units in other locations - I have lots of
options in terms of suitable drawer units but I need to solve the
hanging space problem first.

I'm cosidering designing something and farming it out to someone to
make or building something myself based around a sturdy shop style
clothes rail (Ikea had some I think).

Why not just get a length of chrome tube and mounting sockets from
somewhere like Wickes? Cut the sides and top from 19mm MDF painted the
same colour as the walls, and fit whatever you fancy for doors - wooden
louvres, curtains ...