Dan Caster

Default HSS lathe cutoff/parting tool question

I think it is a matter of the diameter of the part being cut off. A
1/16 blade is good for things less than a 1/2 inch in diameter, but
not so good for 4 inch dia stock. So if you are going to part 4 inch
stock, you have a thicker tool and then just use it for all parting.

Dan

Grant Erwin wrote in message ...
Why don't people always use the thinnest parting tool blades made?
On my little lathe I have found that I simply can not use 1/8" HSS
blades but the 1/16" ones work OK. I'm getting ready to tool up my
16" lathe and I'm wondering ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington