Ted Edwards

Default HSS lathe cutoff/parting tool question

jim rozen scribed in
:

Rigidity counts.

The larger machine will be able to handle a wider
tool without chatter or breaking simply because
of its mass and solidity.

While this is certainly true, a retired machinist friend told me the
following trick: I have one of those blade sliding in a holder cutoff
tools. The blade is 3/32" wide and was giving me a terrible time with
chatter on my Smithy 3-in-1. My friend suggested that I grind the front
of the tool less steep - i.e. smaller clearance angle. A little
experimenting to get it just right and no more chatter.

Ted