Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Let's talk about dovetails

jtpr wrote:
OK, I have decided to try my hand at dovetails for a jewelry box I am
making for my wife. For some reason I would like to learn to do it by
hand. I have an appropriate saw, but I wanted to use a marking knife
to make the lines. They have one at Lee Valley for $22. Of course,
while on their site, I looked around. Why do I do this???? Anyway,
they have a dovetail cutting aid that sells for about $50, or they
have marking guides for $20 (2, one for hardwood, one for soft), or
another set of guides for $10, not sure yet of the benefits of the
more expensive ones, have to look at that.

My point is, am I silly to be spending money on this stuff?

Yes. IMO
_____________

I don't do things at a production level though, so
do I really need something like this.

No
_______________

Is it really that hard to
manually cut dovetails?

No. You need...

1. Some way of laying out the cuts. A cheap bevel works for the angles,
a square for the depth line. You can use any protector to set the bevel
if you are fussy about precise angles.

2. Some way of marking the lines from the bevel and square. You can get
a paring knife and grind it down so the edge is only on one side.

3. You need a decent handsaw. The dozukis are nice

4. Some sharp chisels.

5. Time & patience

dadiOH