Don Foreman

Default Filters for aluminum gas welding WAS: Why do auto darken hoods say no use for gas welding?

From: Don Foreman SPAMBLOCKdforeman@goldengate.

I'll vouch for the tinman filters. They made a huge difference for
me in gas welding aluminum. I now strongly prefer gas over TIG for
welding or brazing aluminum from .060 thick down to .005 or so.

Do you think you could plasma weld aluminum with those glasses and the HF 45850
plasma torch?

They're not nearly dark enough to protect you from a visible arc. The
advantage to them is that they cut the yellow sodium flare from gas
welding flux while otherwise affording very good visibility. I'd
guess they're about a shade 3 or 4.