Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Wink

Default Information on "knife edge" bearings.

The last one I had anything to do with was made from razor blades mounted to the outer race of a ball bearing laying flat. We
made an outer ring from aluminum that was pressed on the bearing with a notch for the blade to fit in. He was using the
single edge razor blades like the one in a razor or scraper.
R. Wink

On 20 Jan 2006 08:55:50 -0800, "mlcorson" wrote:

Hello all:
I'd like find more information about acquiring or making knife edge
bearings. They are for use and experimentation in my kinetic sculpture
work. I am doing a series of experiments with balance, center of
gravity, and movable pendulums. Knife edge bearings are typically found
in balance beam type of scales. If constructed properly, I think they
will allow partial rotation on 2 planes. Left-right, forward-back. Can
anyone suggest references on this subject? I have been unable to find
anything specific to designing, making them or using them.
Thanks for the help.
-Mike