Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High Efficiency Washing machine -- cost calculator?

wrote:
If its those costly front load machines....

Figure in the cost of parts and service

A good friend investigated this recently and found just one piece of a
front loader, the control panel $455.00 woiuld pay for a new regular
top load machine.

such considerations are a important part of the cost equasion.

I'm biased in favor of electronics and even converted a washer to
homemade electronic controls, but I'd much rather buy washers and
dryers controlled purely by mechanics.

If an electronic board fails out of warranty, DIY repair may be
practical because the defects are usually simple, such as cracked
solder, broken copper circuit traces, or blown power transistors or ICs
that drive relays or solonoids. Some boards need to be beefed up
mechanically with bracing, such as strips of wood or plastic slotted
out and epoxied along the edges, or by soldering thick copper or steel
wire to the wider copper traces. Any overheated resistors should be
replaced with resistors rated for twice the original wattages.