Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default paradigm shift wi/o a clutch was OT - "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"

"Gus" wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess you have a different version of Deuteronomy 21:10 than I do.

Marriage to a Captive Woman

snip

Yeah, I think you have the "light" translation. g

Here's the King James standard, which is what my family bible is, published
in 1824:

"And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall
remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month:
and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall
be thy wife."

It appears that "thou shalt go in unto her," before "she shall be thy wife,"
got softened up a bit in your version. d8-)

BTW, this "wife" was not to be exclusive. She was to be added to your
collection.

The King James version, which itself comes off lightened up from having been
translated from the Latin, rather than the Greek or Hebrew, continues with
other gems of religious enlightenment in Deut. 21:

18"If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will (L)not obey his
father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to
them,

19then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the
elders of his city at the gateway of his hometown.

20"They shall say to the elders of his city, 'This son of ours is stubborn
and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.'

21"(M)Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so (N)you
shall remove the evil from your midst, and (O)all Israel will hear of it and
fear."

I've threatened my son with this, but he knows I'm not really a big fan of
the Old Testament, and New Jersey isn't Israel, so he doesn't worry.

Then there's all that stuff about how long you can hang a man in a tree. You
can't let him rot on the rope, which would be un--Godly. Plus, it stinks.

But if you want the straight dope, the real old-time religion, get yourself
an old Hebrew translation. The original word for this metaphoric "go in unto
her" crap was 'Anah, which translates into "sexually violent rape."

Those old Jews didn't mince words; they gave us the straight poop. The King
James translators minced like a French fop. d8-)

Have a good night, Gus. I'm going to bed.

--
Ed Huntress