Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default What is it? XCVIII

Barbara Bailey wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:11:45 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:
According to R.H. :
Just measured this tool, it's 15/16" square, you're probably right about it
being a gauge, I couldn't find any similar ones to verify it, so I included
it in the unsolved set.

O.K. How precisely is it 15/16"? Do you have a micrometer to
measure it precisely? I would expect it to be pretty precise, as it
looks to be surface ground to dimension.

Are there any markings on it other than the end markings?

DoN; is there anny possibility that it's a machinist's "masterpiece"
(in the original sense--the piece produced to prove that he'd mastered
some aspect of his training?) Do machinist apprentices still have to
do such things?

It seems possible, I suppose, but it also seems remarkably simple for
such a thing. In the simplistic shop class I took in college, our
"masterpieces" had gear teeth and threads and suchlike on them, and I'd
imagine a real machinist would have something at least as complex.

(They were really more for giving us experience with the various tools
than for illustrating mastery, though.)

- Brooks