Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Refinishing woodwork - easy way to prep wood?

Jean wrote:

Wow! Those are excellent suggestions - especially the one about making a
mold of the baseboard. I've never heard of "liquid sandpaper" - is it
non-toxic and generally available (like at Home Depot)?

I asked the folks at several stores (Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams,
Lowes, Scotty's) about what was necessary to paint over oil-based with
latex. I was told that all I needed to do was sand the old paint to
roughen up and degloss the surface, and that no primer was needed. So
far this approach has been very successful and the latex has adhered
very well (...Well enough that when I was moving furniture back and
accidently whacked the baseboard with a bookcase, the bookcase got
scuffed but the painted baseboard was undamaged).

Liquid Deglosser, aka liquid sandpaper, is pretty nasty stuff. I've
never run across one that wasn't quite noxious.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...id%20deglosser