Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

Default Refinishing woodwork - easy way to prep wood?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:11:35 -0500, Jean wrote:

I'm in the process of refinishing the woodwork in my house. The woodwork
was originally painted with an alkyd paint which has significantly
yellowed and darkened. I don't ever want to go through this effort
again, so I'm using a latex enamel.

Prior to painting, I've roughed up (ie, de-sheened) the woodwork using
sandpaper. This sanding prep work is really tedious and has to be done
by hand (eg, the baseboard has 5 faces, two of which are curved, and 3
very small ledges where faces join).

I don't know how much more of this prep work my hands can endure. Is
there some sort of magic non-toxic goop I can apply to the woodwork to
minimize the amount of sanding I have to do? (Note: I do not want to
totally strip the woodwork of paint, I just want to rough up and
de-sheen the surface so the new paint can grab.)

Thanks,

Jean

There actually is a product called "Liquid Sandpaper" and other
similar cleaner/deglossers. I've had mixed results with them, but if
all you are doing is trying to knock down the gloss so the paint
sticks well (and not removing a lot of loose or rough paint), one of
the liquids will probably do the trick. Ask at a good paint store and
give it a try. If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks.

HTH,

Paul