Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM^3

Default OT Walmart and you

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
| On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:51:48 GMT, "carl mciver"
| wrote:
|
| Wal-Mart
| works closely with its suppliers to both push and pull them into
efficient
| logistics, which is one of the reasons you would be hard pressed to
find
| Wal-Mart warehouse anywhere, since all of their inventory is almost
always
| in transit from the manufacturer to the stores. Except for near
Christmas,
| when every Wal-Mart rents dozens of shipping containers for storage to
keep
| up with the massive flow of goods flying out of the stores.
|
| I won't comment on the good or bad of WalMart. But I can't let this
| incorrect statement stand unchallenged.
|
| The latest info I could find was 2001. There were 78 WM distribution
| centers in operation. The only states not within a 200 mile radius
| were Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.

I'll take your word for it. In all my travels, I think I've only seen
one, and I don't think it was that big. I would imagine that the stock
contained inside is in constant movement and most stuff stays only long
enough to transfer from one truck to another. I would bet they'd give UPS
run for their money in that kind of operations, for sure!

LOL

The ones I've seen [Dallas, Kansas City?, elsewhere] have all been HUGE!

At least 2 stories high, at least 3 blocks long and a block wide - city
blocks, that is.

The roll-up doors - big enough for 3 semis side by side - look like window
openings in the average warehouse.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just used the same floorplans that Boeing
developed for B-52 modifications at Wichita. (They look to be the same
size.)