Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting threads on the inside of a 3" socket end of PVC pipe

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:34:49 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

I am in the process of making an item for my sal****er setups, and
have to thread the inside diam of a 3" socket joint (happens to be
correct bore needed for my application and only needs threads) which
are 13 tpi. My biggest problem is if I tighten the piece up in the
chuck it distorts it. I ruined a bunch of pieces trying to find a
sweet spot n chucking prressure with out distortin oor without having
it slip. Even with light cuts its gone wrong. Perhaps I need to put it
all away and give it a try on anaother day, unless someone can suggest
something that may work to hold this piece in the chuck without
distortion or slipping.

What about mounting the PVC joint in the center of metal (or wood)
block, with some countersunk screws (in the sides of the block) to
keep the PVC joint from spinning loose.