Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Efficiency of braided vs solid wire

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:59:08 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

hankB wrote:
I have an outdoor receptacle (B)that is connected to a GFI outdoor
receptacle (A) via a shielded extension cord-14?.B got wet, corrosion
set in and I plan to replace it.I have been told that an outdoor
solid wire from A to B would be better and that if I used a braided
wire unless ALL the strands are securely attached it might conduct
but not be able to handle a heavy load such as an 120 V electric
water heater. True? Is there a way I can measure whether the braided
wire is fully conductive

I don't know what a "a shielded extension cord-14" is and how it might
be properly used in this situation.

Maybe it's like what's used for cable TV lines along the street.

All else being equal a stranded cable can carry more current than a
single wire of the same gauge. The flow of electricity is primarily around
the outside of a wire and in a stranded cable there is more of that outside
area.

What are you hooking up here? It sounds like the whole plan is wrong
from the start. I sure sounds like you are not following code from the
start. What kind of water heater are you connecting to an extension cord?
Is it a fixed appliance or portable.?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com