Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default 3 way electrial wall switch question

If you disconnect the switch from the wires as I said, why would you need to
put a volt meter on it?

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:51:06 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

You can check a three-way switch with an ohm meter. Turn off the electric
and disconnect the switch from the wires. Normally there is one terminal
that's a different color than the other two terminals. Put one ohm meter
wire on the different color terminal and one on either of the two same

Never connect an ohmeter until you have first connected a voltmeter.
Even if you've turned the electric off, because eventually you will
skip turning it off for one reason or another. (A common reason is
that you forget. Or you've already turned it off and on a couple
times and you're tired of going to the basement. Or you lose track.
Or you will think you turned off the right breaker, but you'll get the
wrong one. )

Especially with 110 volts or more. With 9 volts, I don't think youll
burn out the ohmmeter, but you'll get into a bad habit.

colored terminals. Flip the switch, and the meter should change. Do this

for
the other same colored terminal. If the same thing happens, then the

switch
is ok.

wrote in message
roups.com...
3 way electrial wall switch question
The downstairs switch works as expected.
If the upstairs switch is then used to turn the
light off, the downstairs switch does not work.
Is the problem with the switch or is it wired wrong?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.