jim rozen

Default HSS lathe cutoff/parting tool question

In article , Grant Erwin says...

Why don't people always use the thinnest parting tool blades made?
On my little lathe I have found that I simply can not use 1/8" HSS
blades but the 1/16" ones work OK. I'm getting ready to tool up my
16" lathe and I'm wondering ..

Rigidity counts.

The larger machine will be able to handle a wider
tool without chatter or breaking simply because
of its mass and solidity.

Really lathes should not be rated in their
swing or length, but rather, 'how much linear
length of tool can you engage in the workpiece
before it all comes unglued.'

Jim

please reply to: