Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply

spudnuty wrote:
I was curious if anyone has information on repairing a power supply for
a PowerMac G4 733 (Quicksilver). I believe the supply has an issue as it
won't start up the machine, but it spins the fans for a few seconds before
shutting down. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated as the
replacement is quite costly!

Something worth checking out are the fans. I'm not sure if the Mac does
this, but many PC motherboards will shut down immediately if they detect
the CPU cooling fan is not running and will exhibit this exact same
behavior. They normally use 3 wire fans and monitor the tachometer line.