Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

Default What is it? XCVIII

Dan:
I'm pretty sure just posting them to abpw puts them in the public
domain :-) but you have my permission to use either of them as you like.

Brooks Moses:
Nope, it most definitely doesn't put them in the public domain! People
tend to act like it does sometimes, but that's only the "they won't find
out so they won't sue me" sort of public domain.

(Well, sometimes it's more the "they probably don't mind, so they won't
sue me" sort of public domain, as in this case, I suppose.)

Don Nichols:
Well ... if the photos are your *own* work, and you post them to
an alt.binaries newsgroup with no restrictive notices, that is pretty
much equivalent to putting them in the public domain.

No, sorry, Brooks has it right. If you want to put something in the
public domain, you have to do it explicitly, as below.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible"