Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dug

Default Mini excavator driver - public liability insurance advice

I have been operating small plant for at least the last 10 years in
some way or the other and a few years ago went to the trouble of
getting a proper license for operating 360 excavators of any weight.
All the work so far has been for friends and family, but I have
recently decided to start making some more money out of it on a
more-frequent, but still part-time basis. In order to keep overheads to
a minimum I am planning to hire various types of plant if and when I
need it.

For all the work I have done to date I have, rightly or wrongly, never
taken out insurance of any kind, but now that I making a more serious
go of it I want to cover my ass for all sensible eventualities.

Public liability insurance was the first one that sprang to mind, but
for the insuring specifically for "operation of self propelled plant
under hire" has proved difficult to find.

Has anyone got some good sources and/or are there any types of
insurance I should be considering?

Any advice would be welcome.