Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

Default TRV Configuration

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:24:04 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:03:09 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson
wrote:

|The house of a friend is fully centrally heated but none of the
|radiators are fitted with thermostatic control valves. The system was
|fitted about 15 years ago, possibly longer.

Look at the feeder fittings on the radiators. Old ones are sort of semi
hemispherical. New ones are an imitation 15mm pipe. If old, you may
have to remove the radiator to get the fitting out and replace it with a
new one.

FWIW, I found them surprisingly easy to remove with the appropriate
tool.

|The house has three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and the
|downstairs comprises a hallway, large lounge, dining room and kitchen.
|All spaces are fitted with radiators including the hallway. The
|system is controlled by a simple thermostat in the lounge. Hot water
|is by an indirect cylinder.
|
|I was thinking the most appropriate plan is to install TRVs to all the
|radiators except those in the lounge, where the thermostat is sited,
|and to change the thermostat to a programmable type.

Some would argue that the best place for the thermostat and non TRVd valve
is in the hall, and some not.

The best place for the non TRV radiator is the room with the room
stat. Ideally this would also be the hall.

sponix