Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default Heating duct through block wall?

Bob wrote:
When you say, "it appears they simply don't want to be bothered", who are
"they"? Have you talked to the owner of the company? Have you signed a
contract with them? Have they delivered any equipment to the property?
Find out if the company did a heat loss/gain on the house. If they did, then
they probably do ok work. They may just be worried about something
structural.

"RobertM" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
I typically do that kind of work on a T&M basis. I only give firm quotes

on
a whole new duct system, because you never know what you're going to run
into. On a small job it could end up taking twice as long, but with a

bigger
job, you can usually make up the time in another part of the job, so it
evens out.
If it's hollow block, you can knock it out in 5 minutes. Whenever

possible,
I use a chainsaw to cut out sill plates, but plan on ruining the chain

if
you hit something like a nail or cinderblock.

This is a completely new system. We're talking in the $6000 price range,
so I can't see someone not wanting to do it right. I'm not asking them
to do it for nothing. If they said it would cost an extra $100 I'd have
said yes. It appears they simply don't want to be bothered.

Bob

The salesman is the owner of the company. No contract yet. I had just
wondering if his lack of enthusiasm for doing work was related to
something structural or to cost savings on his part. After talking with
the general contractor, I'm convinced I need to find a different heating
contractor. I didn't want to be calling one heating person after another
if this was something that shouldn't be done, but it appears the first
guy simply wants a quick job, in and out, no muss no fuss and collect
his money.

Bob