Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

Default Plywood sheathing vs asphalt fiberboard

DD wrote:
I can't find any info on this on the web.

I will be replacing masonite-like siding on my house with Hardie siding. The
original sheathing is a thin (1/8") cardboard covered in foil and will be
replaced. Does anyone have any pro/con information on a 1/2" plywood & 15 lb
felt paper combo vs 1/2" asphalt fiberboard sheathing? I live in Houston and
like the idea of not having wood for the termites and carpenter ants to
munch on so I am leaning toward the asphalt sheathing. It also appears to me
as a good way to ventilate while keeping the moisture out.

Thanks in advance.

I'm definitely no expert, but I would use the plywood.
The plywood should provide much greater structural
rigidity than the fiberboard.

Bill Gill