Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Water Softener only on hot water?

The salt is only used to clean the filter. After that, the salt is washed
away with fresh water. A properly operating water softener has only a minute
amount of salt. Babies get more salt in an average diet. If you have so much
salt that it's a danger to a baby, then your softener isn't working right.
As for heart conditions, most doctors only recommend no soft water for the
most extreme heart conditions.

"Brad" wrote in message
ups.com...
Softened water (with salt) is deadly for babies and not good for
people with high blood pressure. When my eldest was born, I moved our
softener and redid some of the plumbing. I ran a 2nd line to the
kitchen, added a good filter and installed a drinking fawcet at the
kitchen sink. We use this un-softened water for any water we drink. I
also moved the pipe connections for the outside taps to draw water
before the softener. The water for most inside taps and fixtures gets
softened water.
This has worked well for us and reduced the amount of salt the
softener uses.
Brad in Aurora, Ontario, Canada.