Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Heating duct through block wall?

If you're adding more than one or two branch ducts, be sure to do a Manual
D, because you'll probably need to increase the size of your supply and
return trunk ducts.

"ameijers" wrote in message

"RobertM" wrote in message

Same number of turns either way. He said it would be a lot of work to
go
through the block. I can rent a hammer chisel to cut the block and

then

cut the hole in the sill plate with a Sawzall in less time than it
takes
for the contractor to explain why he can't do it. Perhaps if I offered
him the option that he can run the duct and I'll do the work of making
the hole.

Bob

Only way I would consider running a duct like that (through finished

living
space at floor level) would be if I could painlessly bury it in the bottom
foot of a built-in bookcase or something. Yeah, notching out a block wall
and sill is a PITA, but sometimes there is no easy way to do a retrofit.
I'll be facing something similar here when I replace the
long-past-service-life furnace, and extend the ducts into the addition to
get rid of this damn secondary wall furnace. But at least I have a

decently
deep crawl space under the addition- the only hard part will be getting
through 2 poured foundation walls for the duct runs. How much does

drilling
8-inch holes through reinforced concrete walls cost again? :^(

aem sends...