Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp post emergency

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:16:59 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

There may not be a junction box on the outside of the house. Normally, I
would tell you to do what bill said and find the wire where it comes into
the house, but seeing as it took you an hour to find the breaker, I think
you could be searching all night. Does the light still work? If you leave
the breaker off, can you run extension cords to your bedroom? Not having
seen the situation, I can't tell you what an electrician would want to do.

Arrrghhhh ----- Quit making things complicated......
LOOK IN THE BASEMENT for the cable from the light...... (Not outside).
There is likely an octogon box on the wall. Draw a straight line from
the post to the house. Measure that spot from the corner of the
house. Go in the basement and measure the same distance and look for
the box. Once you find it, disconnect the wires inside that box and
put wirenuts on the ends. Turn you power back on and dont worry about
it till you get an electrician to replace the thing.

Another thing. Is there a switch that turns off that light? If there
is, remove the switch, wire nut the two wires and turn your power back
on. Most likely that IS a switch.