Posted to rec.woodworking
grey

Default Anybody have experience with Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry)?

Mark Blum wrote:
I'm looking for any experiences with using this wood.

I've made a couple of things (bookshelves, parts of an armoire, tables out
of the cut up pieces of the cupped and twisted amroire panels ...)

When dry it is brittle (but not as bad as say purpleheart) and may tear out.
A large amount of the wood I've bought was not fully dry, and I've seen
almost unbelievable movement and collapse in some flatsawn boards. Around
here it's pretty common to find 18" wide boards, but rarely dry. It seems
stable enough after a year or two in our 15% humidity. But the appearance
and dent resistance of the final piece make all the pain worth it.

-MJB