Art

Default O.T. How come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong" side of the road

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:19:32 +1000, mastic dont@thisaddress wrote:

Since the group has so many intelligent people on it here is a
question that you may be able to answer for me.
I have often wondered how come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong"
side of the road. Since the Brits drive on the left and all British
colonies drive on the left how come America and Canada drive on the
right keeping in mind that they were also British colonies?

One explanation I have read walking on the left side of the road was
important for personal protection. If you were approaching someone
you did not trust, you would naturally want to keep your sword arm,
normally your right to the strangers. At one point it was mandated
that pilgrims walk on the left for that reason.

Countries that now drive on the right side generally had a period of
time when large, multi-team wagons were common. In that case you
would want to sit where you could easily check the clearence with
oncomming wagons while having your strongest hand free to do things
like handle the whip and reins. For that reason, driving on the right
side became the norm.

Art