Posted to alt.home.repair
Rusht Limpalless

Default Heating duct through block wall?

Had the same problem 2 years back. HVAC contractor wanted to do the same
thing but i stopped him after doing some research on the web.
The solution i found was replacing the old water heater tank with a high
efficiency 'just in time' heater (98% efficient and no flue required) by
taguchi at cost of $800 canadian. This was plumbed in to handle the low
profile radiators in that room (cheap, cost is $7 per linear foot and takes
3/4" copper pipe) total for these lightwieght rads was $125 for a 300 sq/ft
addition.
A few feet of copper pipe was needed and the hydronic system could be used
in many ways. It heats our home water supply and does the heat via
radiators in the addition. A simple valve stops the heat process when it is
not needed.
"RobertM" wrote in message

Same number of turns either way. He said it would be a lot of work to
go
through the block. I can rent a hammer chisel to cut the block and then

cut the hole in the sill plate with a Sawzall in less time than it
takes
for the contractor to explain why he can't do it. Perhaps if I offered
him the option that he can run the duct and I'll do the work of making
the hole.

Bob

lazy contractor Are you SURE you trust him with the whole job??

The boxed in area he wanted to create would permanetely devalue your
home

If he is cutting corners on such a obviuous thing what about what you
cant see?

Thanks, I think I'll get a quote from someone else. Won't hurt to ask a
couple of other heating contractors. I just wondered how far heating
contractors go, and if this type of work was something that a heating
contractor would consider as something that should be done by a general
contractor.

Bob