Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

Default where can I find some beech for a workbench top?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:00:31 GMT, "Pete Stolz"
wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm trying to make a workbench top and I'd like to use some beech. I can't
find it locally near Green Bay, WI. I don't suppose anybody happens to have
a good internet supplier. I can find maple in a 5/4 for 3.29/bd ft.
right in town. Would that be a good substitute? Thanks

Maple makes a great top. I made mine from hard maple about 15 years
ago. It's still in great shape and probably will be until long after
I've left this earth.

Some will point out that buying a top is possible, or even buying a
ready to go bench.

Those are good alternatives, but I must point out that building your
own from rough lumber allows practicing the skills that you'll use
when you make the furniture you'll put on the bench. Plus, you can
get the features you want. Take a look at a book by Landis, "The
Workbench Book." In it the author shows several styles and the
evolution of workbenches. You could pick and choose the kinds of
vices and the various helpers benches have used. Things like a board
jack or holdfasts. The particular features you choose should aid you
in the type of work you do or plan to.