Posted to rec.woodworking
rockfish

Default Which Fence

My father gave me his TS for Christmas. He didn't use it much and I
sure can put it to use. I'm re-setting it up per the manual. It's and
older Craftsman 10". It needs some TLC, a neww belt, and could really
use a new fence. I have been woodworking for a shile and have had more
time than money so I have looked at just about every fence out there.
T-square, Beisemeyer, Vega, Accusquare (and the Rockler clone), HTC,
Jet, Incra, Powermatic, most all of them. I have noticed some
commonalities and some differences. They seem to either be aluminum of
steel with an overlay of some laminate of composite material. They seem
to either have aluminium or steel rails. Some have "micro-adjusters"
and some do not. Some have a lever lock and at least one hase a
turn-knob lock.
I am in search of experiences and rational argeuments as to which brand
or features I will find most usefull/accurate/pleasureable to use.
My criteria are simple: Accurate, I want to set it up then slide the
fence to a increment I specify and cut exactly that increment. Solid:
If it moves when you bang it with lumber, it's useless. Price: comes in
third, but still matters. Dimensions: This is for a contractors saw,
but I want at least 40" to the right and 12" to the left.
That's about it. Looking forward to any experiences and resources you
can provide.
Thanks,
Rockfish