Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Flycutter: R8 vs. round shank

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Fly cutters work very best for light cuts, so you're on the right track. I
generally use a 3/4" end mill if I'm moving much steel, then go to the fly
cutter for finish. Once again, a good reason to have a collet size
instead of an R8.

I love the finish but I always have trouble 'recalibrating' the
spindle speed to keep the sfpm under control. My first attempt
at flycutting invariably winds up with the part getting larger
from one side to the other, and the toolbit gets shorter!

Only then do I wind the speed down after re-sharpening.

I think this is another reason that fly cutters tend to sport
carbide toolbits.

Jim

please reply to: