Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Hanging parts jars

Gerald Miller wrote:
On 21 Jan 2006 10:02:48 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Could you post a picture somewhere so we can see what you are
describing?

I would like to hhear what others are using for small parts storage
solutions?

TMT

I run 1x2" strapping horizontally on the open side of a stud wall such
that tobacco tins ( I used to smoke a pipe, and our secretary rolled
cigarettes for herself and spouse) rest on the strapping and tilt back
against the chipboard on the other side of the wall, three cans per
stud space. An alternate container currently available is the fibre
sided can with snap on plastic lid, from salted nuts. I my previous
shop with concrete block walls, I anchored 1x3" vertically, edge on to
the walls and ran my 1x2's across them. My boys are negotiating as to
inheritance rights on Dad's tobacco tins.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Hah! - this assumes you are ORGANISED enough to have SOME sort of a
system. I have given up. Just installed my new 9 by 10 lathe, (havent
even THOUGHT about where the mill is going...) I am left with piles of
radio stuff/manuals/interesting "junque" all over the floor. (but I did
find my lost 5mm allen key, and some parts I bought YEARS ago....) OK,
now is the time to clean up - but if I put things in the filing
cabinet, thats no good - it depends on the day what category they fit
into, so its better to have books/manuals in piles on the floor -
easier to sort. Patch cables - tried doing them in categories from wall
hooks, but they well, sort of want to...get up to strange nocturnal
activities...always wind up mixed, or hiding under the bench.

And lathe stuff is so bloody BIG and HEAVY -the 4 jaw chuck is sititng
in a corner, glaring at me, along with the faceplate and the steadies.
They need to be stored carefully to prevent damage or rust, on a level
I can get to them. Plus all the hand tools I am starting to
accumulate......

And NOW, and NOW folks, I am starting to get into this metalworking
stuff - its gunna get totally out of control- its taken on a life of
its own...I am just a spectator...the seductive murmer of new tools
must be similar to heroin addiction.... just one more, you really NEED
this one....have to move, start all over again.....take to the
drink,.......see the doc, get some organising
pills....AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

believe it or not, this all started as as a simple desire to machine
some adaptors for my WW2 radio gear tuning mechanisms.... its OUT OF
CONTROL!!!!!!!

Andrew VK3BFA.

Still having a good time, despite my age. (label on a tshirt the kids
gave me, shortly before I dis-inherited them)