Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? XCVIII

According to R.H. :
567) Military style ammo belt. Each pocket would hold a stripper
clip full of rifle rounds.

It looks as though it is intended to be only part of a complete
set. Perhaps it joins to another, or perhaps to a knapsack.

I was wondering why three of the pockets have four small air holes on the
back while the other two do not.

I think that those are intended (two at a time) to match hooks
in the end of the other half of the ammo belt, to adjust it to the
wearer. That end would thread through the rectangular guide on the
right-hand end (your back view), and plug into a pair of holes to set
the length. Are there reinforcing rings in those holes?

244) It looks as though it is intended to be assembled around a
leather strap, and then hung from something. Perhaps part of
the harness for a team of oxen?

I think you may be right about it being attached to a leather strap, or
possibly a rope as someone else mentioned, the metal is partly smooth on the
inside from wear. Or it could have clamped on to a piece of metal on a
scale. Someone from a weight and scale collector web site said that it was
an ice weight, but I couldn't find anything about it to confirm this, nor
would he elaborate when asked.

Interesting.

76) Perhaps it goes on the bottom end of a wooden tripod leg,
such as for a surveyor's tripod?

I'm leaning toward tripod leg on this one too, but for what I don't know.

Part of my reason for suspecting this is the angled foot, which
would be level when the legs of a tripod were properly spread.

186) I don't remember seeing this one before. I would like a closer
look at the jaws. Perhaps it is a punch for making holes in
leather belts? I'm not sure what the pivoting part is for --
other than to keep it a fixed distance off the floor, or to
clamp in a vise to free both hands to thread the leather into
position and then operate the handles to punch the hole?

Tomorrow I'll post a closer shot of the jaws.

O.K. Thanks.

212) Hmmm ... can you measure the distance between the sides and the
top and bottom surfaces? It looks as though it is intended to
be a gauge block with a handle of some sort.

Is it tapered, or is that an artifact of the camera?

I would guess that it is quite close to 1.000" square.

Also tomorrow I'll measure this one, I don't have it with me here.

O.K. Thanks again.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564