Posted to sci.electronics.repair
garmar

Default Alkaline battery

Alkaline batteries are not really rechargeable. This is a myth! The
chemistry simply is not there. This is why you can only recharge alkaline
batteries that are only partially discharged to about 60% - 70 % because you
really are not recharging but instead doing other things.

If you still want to try the chargers that make these claims do it at very
low currents typically 15 mA for an AA cell @ 1.5 V (This will require an
open terminal voltage of about 3 V). It is important that the charger cutoff
completely at a voltage around 1.6 V. Test this with a fresh alkaline cell.

For comparison, a typical AA NiCad recharges at 45 mA constant current.

I personally would not waste my time. Walgreens usually has pretty good
sales on alkaline batteries. The most you might get is one very short
discharge cycle, afterwhich the alkaline is depleted.

"Bert" lijbertv_at_xsinet_dot_co_dot_za wrote in message
Hello all
Anyone got some info on how and with how much milliamps do I have to
charge
a alkaline penlite battery.
All I did find was a diagram for a charger, but no current.
As far as I did read with every charge the battery will hold less
capacity.
Thanks
Bert.