Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Jeffries

Default Workshop cabinets out of MDF instead of Plywood?

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:48:34 -0800, Woodchuck34 wrote:
I built all of my shop cabinets out of MDF and a lot of the painted
built-ins in the house. You could just butt joint or dado them together,

They'll be constructed using Norm's method of cut out strips screwed to
the edges. Difficult to explain, maybe I'll take some photos when I do it
(with the weather it looks like it'll be delayed for a week - gonna be
snowing when the guy was going to be doing the concrete base for me).

One thing I started doing is using a full
3/4" (or I suppose 18MM) thick sheet of MDF as the backboard of the
cabinet and always including at least 1 fixed shelf (either vertically or
horizontally) and securely attaching that to the backboard. Yields a rock
solid cabinet. I don't use any screws either.

Interesting. They'll actually be screwed to the back wall, but I'll see
how strong they are. The left side will be screwed to the left wall and I
can always screw a batten to the right side (and back wall) to keep them
from exploding in the middle if they look like they may.

The fixed shelf (yes mine will have one too) will be in a dado and
toe-nailed.

Cheers,

Andy

--