Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Flycutter: R8 vs. round shank

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
link.net...
Hello all,

The added strength, no worries about slipping, and some extra work for
tool changes that go with R8 are obvious. $28+/- will get me either
three round shaft cutters or one R8.

Since I envision using a flycutter mostly for squaring raw stock, I'm
leaning toward R8, but would be easily persuaded the other direction.
Any preferences?

Bill

I've always preferred fly cutters with 3/4" shanks. It makes it much easier
to go from an the cutter to a drill chuck or other device. If the shanks
are less than 3/4", I'd likely feel differently. I couldn't get
interested in a 1/2" shank, for example. With the smaller shanks, you're
asking for chatter.

Unless you're machining steel, taking heavy cuts, rigidity isn't much of an
issue. I'd suggest you permit your work to make the decision. If you
expect you'll be doing lots of big stuff with deep cuts and large diameter
circles, the R8 would be a better choice. Otherwise, I think you'd be
served quite well with the straight shanks. Think about what I said about
shank size when you make your decision.

If you have a lathe, making your own fly cutter is a great project. That
way you can tailor the slot and holding screws to your liking. Make sure
you keep the cutting edge on center. Fly cutters are also handed, if you
think about it. They should run clockwise, so those without the ability to
reverse their spindle can still use them.

Harold