Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

Default Hanging parts jars

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--I've reached the point where nuts, bolts, etc are so numerous that
they no longer fit in those little plastic parts jars, the ones that thread
into those red plastic caps that attach to pegboard. Nowadays I'm using
plastic quart-size jars and as the number is mounting the workbench is
shrinking!
--What I'd like to do is hang 'em beneath an existing shelf in some
way that doesn't include nailing the lid to it. Ideally I'd like to find
some extruded aluminum with a "top-hat" cross section. This way the
extrusions could be cut to length, drilled thru the middle and attached to a
shelf, spaced apart so that jar lids would slide between the horizontal
bits. So far I haven't spotted anything like this and I've been making my
own pseudo-extrusions. First time I did this by fastening strips of 1/8" x
1" aluminum to 1/2" square sections, then bolting these to the bottom of a
shelf. Now, second time around, I'm welding strips of .09" steel to 1/2"
square tube, then drilling large hole thru the sandwich and smaller hole
thru the topside so I can fasten the things to the shelf with hex head
sheetmetal screws.
--Anyway, long story short: this would be a *lot* easier with a
single extrusion that only needed to be cut to length and drilled a couple
of times. Has anyone seen anything like this? Links appreciated!

How about just putting a small eyebolt thru the lid and hamging it on an
appropriate rod?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/