Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Default Suddenly I'm a Handyman!

John Rumm wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Seems to me that the critical thing would be to establish a
regular customer-base of cash rich/time poor households, each of
whom will supply a couple of minor jobs per year and also seek
your advice on bigger commissions. You mention elsewhere that
you have some contacts in the trades, so you might be able to
leverage this.

It seems there is an opportunity here to "manage and tidy up" the
bigger projects without getting that closely involved yourself.

Say for example customer wants a complete a new bathroom, you
could do the requirements capture at the start and then run the
job calling on the services of plumbers, electricians,
plasterers, tilers etc. Then be on hand to smooth over all the
snagging etc at the end. The trades people may like the idea of
being able to get in and do the job without having to worry about
making good at the end or even spending too much time working
with the customer establishing requirements. Since you are not
doing all the work yourself you get a chance to duplicate your
time a little since you could probably run more than one job at a
time, or run one and carry out smaller handyman ones in parallel.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Project manager, trusted by all.