Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Suddenly I'm a Handyman!

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:48:18 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

david lang wrote:

I think thats a marketing issue. I have access to the CACI
listings for local postcodes and my marketing will be directed to
people who have the money! Fortunately the Medway Towns are
commuter land, so there are lots of cash rich/time poor
potentiual clients.

Seems to me that the critical thing would be to establish a regular
customer-base of cash rich/time poor households, each of whom will supply a
couple of minor jobs per year and also seek your advice on bigger
commissions. You mention elsewhere that you have some contacts in the
trades, so you might be able to leverage this.

Aaaarrrghhhh. "Leverage" is a noun, not a verb.

You need to minimise the unproductive time spent getting to know people &
winning their trust etc, and repeat business is the way to go for that.
Repeat jobs involving a simple phone call could take half as long as dealing
with new customers every time.

To quickly build a regular 'round' you might want to offer "first job for
free" or "materials only" promotions in targeted wealthy areas? This gets
you through the door (remember that people are afraid of strangers nowadays,
especially in their home) and gives you a showcase for a quick, neat job.

Good luck!

--

..andy