Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default roof shingle missing?

wrote:
Ok, this has probably been asked a thousand times...

I put the dog out this morningm and found a roof shingle (asphalt) on
the ground.... I looked at the roof with binoculars, and found the
gap, it was sheared off flush with the next row above it; I could see
the seam and roofing nails that had been covered.
So....
will the roof leak? do I have to fix it?

the roof is 16 years old, and the shingles are "Bird Windseal 80"

I suspect I am getting near a re-roof job, which I dread, as this roof
is massive...

Thoughts?

Yea it sounds like you are coming up on a new roof. It may be a few
years away. From what you described, assuming there is no other damage, and
you don't get some bad winds coming towards that missing shingle, it is not
likely to leak. I would suggest that what the others have suggested is try
and you should start getting some estimates. If you get yourself a
replacement shingle (you will need to buy more than one unless you have a
left over or know someone who does, you may be able to replace it yourself
or have a roofer in the area do it for you. I once was out running when I
noticed a roofer a block away taking a break I asked if he could do it for
me. I had the shingle and for one can of soda, I get it fixed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit