Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Static on telephone line after storm

In addition to what others said about disconnecting all phones except one,
you may want to consider temporarily getting a maintenance plan (if
available) that covers wiring inside the home. Verizon's 'Optional Wire
Maintenance Plan' "provides diagnostic and repair service on standard
telephone wiring and jacks on the customer side of the Network Interface".
Note, it does not cover your telephones, so make sure the problem is NOT
being caused by one of your phones (some electronic phones are very touchy).
Verizon wants $3.45 per month, but I don't know if there's a signup fee
and/or minimum amount of months.
Telephone voltage is different, in that it's usually 48VDC, but (according
to a Verizon tech I was talking to), switches to about 85VAC when a call is
connected. Does the static happen when you just lift the receiver, or does
it happen only after a call is connected?

"Senin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am getting major static on my telephone line. I noticed a pattern.
It happens right after a rainstorm. Then in a few days it resumes
normal functioning.

I called the telephone company and they informed me that if they find
it is on their end they will fix it for free. But they also warned
that if it is on my end, that they will charge outrageous rates.

I did the test of plugging a phone into the outside box. The static
wasn't there. I plugged it inside my house and the static was there.
That leads me to believe that the problem is with my lines.

So, before I spend the outrageous money to call the telephone compamy
out, can anyone tell me if there is something else I can try. And,
what will they do (besides charge a lot) once they come out to fix it?
Replace all my internal wiring?