Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default question about electric fan motor

On 21 Jan 2006 07:01:21 -0800, wrote:

The label states that they are 230V. Is there any possibility
of running them on standard 110V house current?

Make an auto-transformer to step up 110V to 230V. This needs a large
transformer (three times the total fan rating) with a primary winding
that's centre-tapped for 0-110V-230V. These are common in European
electrical equipment from the '50s to the '80s - not sure how easy
they'd be to find in the US.

Then feed your 10V current in on the 0-110V tappings and take a fan
supply from the 0-230V tappings. Ignore the secondary (leave it
unconnected). Place this inside the fan cabinet, earth as appropriate
and insulate/label all the 230V side as if they're all "hot" (i.e. don't
rely on anything being neutral or at low potential)

I'd expect these to make a usable air filter that's very quiet, but
maybe a bit underpowered. I wouldn't expect them to work for a
downdraught sanding table.