Posted to uk.d-i-y
ashnook

Default Suddenly I'm a Handyman!

"david lang" wrote in message
Hi All

The day job finally finished, I will end up with enough dosh to keep me
going for 5-6 months.

At 54 I don't think its worth looking for another job, I doubt I would
find one that paid as well as the old one anyway.

I have two 'strengths'. One is as a magician (adults, not kids parties)
and the second is DIY - I can do most things well. I plan to push the
magic side hard - I've been doing it part time for 10 years+ and without
being immodest I'm damn good at it. It's well paid, but you really only
work weekends.

To earn a bit extra Mon-Fri I'm going to start up a 'Handyman' business
locally. I have all the tools and I've done most things.

My day job was in sales, so I understand the business & marketing side of
things.

What I need to know however, is what consumables to carry on the van.

Screws & fixings obviously, but I reckon basic plumbing will be a common
job. Plumbing in dishwashers, washing machines etc, and toilets that
overflow, won't flush, taps that drip etc.

Looking through the Screwfix catalogue it makes sense to buy some van
stock - they are much cheaper than B&Q or local shops.

What would the team suggest as an initial stock?

Any other advice welcome :-)

Dave

Hi Dave, very interesting. I was in the same situation a couple of years
ago, sort of retired but looking for things to do to occupy my time. I made
it known in the village I live in (200 houses) I could do most things. I
thought I would do 2-3 days a week.

I did decorating, renovate bathrooms, lay floors, tiling, electrical (pre-
partP!) and other general handyman stuff except for ladder work. I charged
between 12 and 14 pounds per hour. Within 6 months I was working 5 full days
per week with a growing backlog of jobs, so there is work to be had.

As for stock, forget it, buy stuff on a per job basis or get the customer to
buy it. Get 3rd party liability insurance and keep good books as sure as
eggs is eggs someone will tell the tax man so best to tell him up front. You
can offset quite a lot and in the end I did not have to pay tax. I have
since finished that and take to selling on eBay as the full-time work got
too much. Fortunately I do not have a mortgage so it's easier for me.

Best of luck, you will do fine

--
brian
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ashnook-Plants