Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Suddenly I'm a Handyman!

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 20 Jan 2006 17:50:31 -0800, wrote:

All of this assumes that you are business aware - I am sure that both
David Lang and you are - but doing the business "stuff" such as
marketing, prospecting for and quoting work and billing and collecting
money eats into time.

Years ago, when Spouse was unemployed, he wanted formally to set up as the
Local Odd Job Man - because he was always being asked to do things anyway
and he could. I was terrified at the idea - because of all the business
stuff. Efficient management is vital, he wasn't capable and he though I
could do it but I knew my limitations. I also knew that he'd never be
prepared to charge a sensible rate for any job. Neighbours expect you to do
them favours ...

I suspect that this is why people contemplating something like this as
a longer term career objective go for one of the specific trades
involving training and qualification.

Yes.

As a minimum, it would be a Good Idea to make a business plan,
starting from what you need to make net to live, grossing it up and
adding in costs such as insurances, transport etc. Then consider that
you could well have 50% down time or perhaps more (i.e. unproductive
time between jobs). That should tell you what you would need to
charge. You could then call a few handymen and ask them to quote for
such jobs and see whether the numbers add up.

The hidden costs and overheads MUST be taken into account. A washer might
only cost pennies but the structure involved in sourcing, buying,
transporting, storing, knowing what to do with it, cost and time in
travelling there and back and the time taken to do the job (even if it's
only minutes) even without such things as protective clothing, tools,
laundry, car, stock and accident insurance, pension, national insurance,
bank charges, as well as the time not being paid for between changing washer
jobs is expensive. For more ambitious tasks there might be plant hiring
charges. And the minefield of having to employ somebody else even for
occasional part time help ... There will be other costs, these are just the
one I can think of off the top of my head. It's terrifying.

None of this is to pour cold water on the idea - a career change or
sabattical are very appealing things - however I think that one also
has to look without the rose tinted spectacles.

I agree 100%.

Mary