View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Sheltech

Default High temp. gasket material and source ?

Ned Simmons wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Okeley Dokely, to answer a few replies at once,
This is for an annealing box with a flat lid that will screw on . I'm annealing copper sheets in an electric kiln.
Perfect seal isn't actually required because the customer isn't fussy about getting pristine copper
parts; in fact , torch-annealed was adequate. I mostly want to 'automate' the annealing.

Braided packing for wood stove doors is available several
diameters in hardware stores, at least here in the
Northeast. It resembles very soft clothesline rope and
seals pretty well in a properly designed joint.

I expect McMaster sells the same stuff as hi-temp packing.
See pp. 3187-3188 in catalog 109.

Ned Simmons

I've not considered this type of material because the joint I made on the lid is too narrow , I think. Some of the "clothy glass"
might still work. Long story short, I found my old piece that I got for this a few years ago and looked it up. "Garlock" made it
but it's only rated to 650 F. What the hell was I thinking?. Probably before I found a good annealing temp for Cu . Dumbass.They
have some rated at 950, and MSC has some graphite/nitrile at 950 F and is inexpensive.

I don't want to build a new box with a wider lid joint, but that may end up being the best thing. I'm getting burnt, after
searching the
lost corners of my shop and finding the missing sheet, only to find it unsuitable. Tempted to abandon the whole thing again in
favor of simply wrapping the dogdang sheets in aluminum foil and throwing them in the kiln like I did last time . My box still
isn't
done; the rim isn't brazed on and the holes aren't threaded and there's a lot of other stuff needs doing. Hmm.... how much
aluminum foil do I have ?......... lol

Probably end up doing that now, and figuring out/doing a long term solution here and there over time. Thanks for the input, and
I'm off to read about glass rope.

Dar