Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg Dermer

Default RPC pony motor getting hot?

Jon Elson wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

Normally a pony motor is only used to spin up the idler motor, then it
is mechanically disconnected and shut off. This is often done by a
hinge/belt/lever arrangement, whereby the user tilts the pony motor
away from the idler motor until it's almost far enough, then slips on
the V belt, then tilts the pony motor away a bit farther until the
belt is tight, then, holding tension, switches on the pony motor with
his free hand, then switches on the idler motor, then switches off the
pony motor then relaxes the lever and lets the belt flop off. I had
never heard of keeping it electrically powered throughout. I'd just
try reconfiguring your converter a little so you can shut off the pony
motor.

His pony motor is NOT electrically powered after the spin-up, at least
that's what he says. It is mechanically connected so it keeps spinning
when the RPC is on. But, that shouldn't make it get hot.

Jon

I didn't see where he explicitly said he disconnected the pony motor.
*IF* it's still connected to the line, and *if* the belting arrangement
will run the pony motor faster than synchonous speed while being driven
by the idler motor, then it will act like an induction generator and be
loaded by the power line, causing heating.

-- Greg