Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ?

Hi All

I live in a house which has been converted from 2 smaller cottages.
There are 2 staircases in the house, at opposite ends (east and west
wing - hahaha).

All rooms at first floor level have windows which have door like
openings large enough for an adult to easily exit through. (with child
safe opening restrictors fitted !)

The staircase at the west wing opens onto a hallway leading directly to
the front door, with doorways off to a living room (no door exit) and a
lounge - the lounge also has a doorway to the outside as well as
connecting through into the rest of the house. There is a first room
opening onto this staircase which has been opened up to the loft area,
with a small upper "gallery" area created with a sunken bed.

The staircase on the east wing opens via a door into a small kitchen
with door to the outside, and a door larger room with door to the
outside.

The west and east staircases are connected at first floor level by a
corridor which runs the length of the house.

We intend to combine the small and large rooms on the east side into
one large kitchen.

My question is - Do we need a door at ground floor level into the
stairs in the converted (east wing) kitchen? I am hoping that the
alternative exit route from the first floor means that we can open this
area up.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Andy